MTV Video Music Awards (VMA)
The MTV Video Music Awards (VMA) were held at Prudential Center on September 12, 2023 (Tuesday) in Newark, New Jersey. The show was hosted by Nicki Minaj, marking her second consecutive year in the role.
Taylor Swift Sweeps VMAs, Makes History
At the 2023 MTV Video Music Awards, Taylor Swift created history by bringing home nine (9) awards, including Video of the Year for her song “Anti-Hero.” Swift said “This is unbelievable. The fact that this is a fan-voted award means so much to me” as she thanked her fans and collaborators during her acceptance speech for Video of the Year. With her second Video of the Year award, Swift now trails Beyoncé in terms of the total number of VMA awards.
For “Anti-Hero,” Swift also received awards for Artist of the Year, Best Pop Video, and Best Direction, as well as Best Cinematography, Best Visual Effects, Show of the Summer, and Album of the Year. The songs “Anti-Hero” and “Midnights” were also performed, and she was joined by her collaborators Ed Sheeran and BTS for a performance of their song “The Man.”
The 2023 MTV Video Music Awards were a night to remember for Taylor Swift. She made history, won nine awards, and put on an unforgettable performance. It was a clear sign that she is still one of the biggest stars in music.
Shakira Celebrates a Lifetime of Music at MTV Video Music Awards
Shakira received the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award at the 2023 MTV Music Video Awards, a deserving tribute to one of the most popular and influential performers of our time. Shakira thanked her family, friends, and collaborators for their support throughout the years in her victory speech. In addition, she discussed her career as an artist, adding, “I’ve always been fascinated by the power of music to bring people together and to create a sense of community.”
Shakira celebrated her career and her influence on pop culture by performing a medley of her best hits at the VMAs, including “She Wolf,” “Objection (Tango),” “Whenever, Wherever,” and “Hips Don’t Lie.”
The Vanguard Award for Shakira is a well-deserved recognition for a performer who broke down stereotypes and paved the way for other Latin musicians. She is a real icon, and future generations will draw inspiration from her legacy.
Diddy Celebrates His Legacy as a Global Icon at MTV VMAs 2023
Courtesy: Rolling Stone
Diddy received the Global Icon Award at the 2023 MTV Video Music Awards, which was a deserving tribute to one of our generation’s most recognizable and significant performers. “I’ve always been a hustler. I’ve always been about creating opportunities for myself and for others” he stated as he thought back on his career.
As a pioneer in the music industry, Diddy performed a medley of his greatest hits, including “I’ll Be Missing You,” “Bad Boy for Life,” “Mo Money Mo Problems,” and “Coming Home.”
Diddy was nominated for four additional awards in addition to the Global Icon Award, including Best Hip-Hop Video, Best R&B Video, Best Collaboration, and Best Direction. His song “Gotta Move On” featuring Bryson Tiller and The LOX got the award for the Best Hip-Hop Video.
Complete list of winners at the 2023 MTV Video Music Awards:
- Video of the Year: “Anti-Hero” by Taylor Swift
- Artist of the Year: Taylor Swift
- Song of the Year: “Anti-Hero” by Taylor Swift
- Best Pop Video: “Anti-Hero” by Taylor Swift
- Show of the Summer: Taylor Swift
- Album of the Year: “Midnights” by Taylor Swift
- Best Direction: “Anti-Hero” by Taylor Swift
- Best Cinematography: “Anti-Hero” by Taylor Swift
- Best Visual Effects: “Anti-Hero” by Taylor Swift
- Best Collaboration: “TQG” by KAROL G, Shakira
- Best Hip-Hop Video: “Super Freaky Girl” by Nicki Minaj
- Best R&B Video: “Shirt” by SZA
- Best Rock Video: “Måneskin” by THE LONELIEST
- Best Latin Video: “Funk Rave” by Anittaa
- Best K-Pop Video: “S-Class” by Stray Kids
- Best Alternative: “Candy Necklace” by Lana Del Ray ft. Jon Batiste
- Best Afrobeats: “Calm Down” by Rema & Selena Gomez
- Best Video for Good: “Breakfast” by Dove Cameron
- Best Choreography: “Pink Venom” by BLACKPINK
- Best Art Direction: “Attention” by Doja Cat
- Best Editing: “vampire” by Olivia Rodrigo
- Group of the Year: BLACKPINK
- Best New Artist: Ice Spice
- PUSH Performance of the Year: TOMORROW X TOGETHER
- MTV Tricon Award: Justin Bieber
- Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award: Shakira
- Global Icon Award: Diddy
Some of the biggest names in music, such as Doja Cat, BTS, Camila Cabello, and Machine Gun Kelly, all gave performances at the 2023 MTV Video Music Awards. Doja Cat was one of the night’s biggest winners, taking home four trophies, including Best Collaboration for her collaboration with David Guetta on the song “I’m Good (Blue)”. Everyone involved had a memorable evening at the award ceremony, which honored the best music videos.